Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

How To Say "Goodbye"?

One of the harder moments of my life is about to come in less than a week. I knew it was always a possibility when you have adult children in your life. It was something I wasn't really emotionally prepared for at first. However, God is using it to grow me in new ways and has given me a wonderful peace about it, even in the midst of my grieving moments.

My oldest son and his sweet wife (who feels like a daughter to me) are moving away to another state to be near her family. We understand the reasons behind the move and excited to see the new adventures that lays ahead for them. Even so, it is still a hard thing to walk through as a Mother. We feel so blessed to have the year we did with them living so close. We feel honored the way we have been able to watch them in their first year of marriage. They married young, but they knew they were meant to be together and they are very much in love. It is very precious to watch them become one.

We also know that they are not ours to hold onto. They are the Lord's children. It is His covenant with them, in their marriage. I remember their wedding day and the tiny bit of misty rain that was falling upon the ceremony, as it was outside. It was May, but in our state that is an unpredictable month. At first when we woke up to rain drops, for a 10:00 AM wedding, I was quite concerned.

Ironically, it turned out to be an amazing day. While we were quite cold, the tiny bits of rain that were coming down was like the Lord's blessing upon the marriage. It is difficult to explain unless you were there. But it was real. I could feel God's presence and I could feel Him saying to my heart, "This is my covenant with them. You have done your roll and you can have faith that I bless this marriage and will make them one." It was so beautiful and so right. I was not the only person that felt that on that day.

I am grieving in my heart that I will not get to see them very much. I trust the Lord and His sovereignty, however. I know He is using this time to stretch me too. I know it will be hard for them to say "Goodbye" to us as well.  So how do you say "Goodbye" to your oldest son? How do you say "Goodbye" to the dreams you had with them living close by? How do you say "Goodbye" when you have never lived 1000s of miles apart?

The only answer I can come up with is heavenly "Goodbyes" are not forever. That I can stand in the fact that I did have 21 precious years with my first born son. I have total confidence that God is with them on this new part of their lives and He has a plan and purpose for them each and together! I know that they are just a phone call away. I can be thankful that we have awesome technology that helps us to communicate as often as needed or desired. I know that our future visits will be even sweeter as the heart will grown founder since  they will be few and far between. I also know that the memories we have created will always be with us. Whenever I think of Tyler and Emily I will thank God for them and the sweetness they bring to my life.

Philippians 1.3
Every time I think of you, I thank my God.

I look forward to seeing what God is going to do in their lives.
Love you both so much!! Missing you already. Love you mostest.




1 comment:

  1. Been there, done that, twice now. Another son far away, and last son leaving in August. I understand! I am thankful for Skyping and Google Hang Outs and cell phones. When I got married and moved far away from my family, all we had were expensive phone calls, so we did that only on weekends. Love to you from our family!

    ReplyDelete