Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Our Special Gift

We see all of our children as special blessings from the Lord, gifts from Him alone. Even though they came from human bodies it was He who created them, each unique, beautiful, precious, amazing!

Psalm 139:13-16 "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

Three years ago, Asher Thomas Quan (pronounced "Ch uw en") was born on February 23 in the wee hours of the morning. I imagine his parents were shocked to see his "disability". I am not sure what their reasons were for "giving" him up, putting in front of an orphanage gate early the next morning. I can have my speculations, but it doesn't matter, as I have no idea really, and on this side of life, will likely never know. Asher will have to decide on his own if someday he wants to try and find his family. I will support him at whatever he decides.


But even in the middle of all that trauma for my precious son, there was a gift given to Him by his Creator, their was life. He created Asher in his mother's womb perfectly suitable for God and His kingdom. He might not have looked like the "perfect" child to the world, but to God and to us he IS perfect and beautiful. The Heavenly, Father gave our family Asher as a gift to love, nurture, help to be healed, pray for, disciple, teach and provide security in a family. It has been truly the most amazing gift I could have ever imagined. I knew I always wanted to adopt. 

I have heard lots of horror stories of parents who had either been ignorant to their adopted child's needs or didn't have the best skills to handle the difficulties that could come with adoption, or for whatever reason should have never adopted in the first place. But for us it has been nothing like that. I am not saying it has been all easy and fun. Parenting is hard work, period. Parenting an adopted child takes dedication, education, understanding, patience, prayer and forever commitment to pour out yourself. However, truly it has been precious and beautiful, as all things from God are.

This gift of ours, turned 3 and has grown so much. Not only has he grown 6 inches and 8 pounds, 2 sizes in clothing, tons of new words, cognitively understands anything we say, but he is also growing spiritually. I rock and sing to him every night before bed. I have been signing "Jesus Loves Me", 2 of the verses  for months now. He will NOT let me forget to sign them, that song only and he often sings them himself, no matter how tired he is. He prays and while he rarely sits still, he will try to close his eyes during prayer time and will attempt to repeat anything I say for "his prayer".


The other day he was not very nice to his sister Lenea, and hurt her badly because he didn't get something she was playing with. At first he just scowled when I scolded him and set him on my lap. He would not say he was sorry to her, which we require in younger children, even if they aren't repentive. But the next day when I was examining her injury in front of him, he sweetly said, "I sorry Nea" all on his own. It melted my heart as he knew he had hurt her and was truly sorry.

In the next year, we look forward to seeing how he will relate to his younger siblings from China. I pray that he adjusts well. He is quite the Mama and Daddy boy, and we just won't have as many free hands for him after they are home so he will be forced to share. But inside his stubbornness is one sweet and loving child. He is mostly easy going and fun to be around.

He doesn't really care for cake so for his birthday so my daughter-in-love made the best chocolate chip cookies for him. He liked those better than cake. Happy Birthday my sweet Asher Quan. I don't know what my life would have been like without you in it. Surely it would have full of less love, happiness, fun, gentleness, understanding, youth, and I am ever so thankful I don't have to find out.







1 comment: