Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

What Do YOU Want for Christmas? Part 1

Just a warning this is a bit long, but I have had a lot on my heart about this lately. Thank you for reading.

Christmas is about gifts..It is about miracles...James 1:17 "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

It is about God coming to earth as a man to save his people from the punishment of sin (Death!) and have Victory over that SIN! He is the King.. He is the that "Perfect Gift"..Perfect meaning "wanting nothing  necessary to completeness".. Jesus was a complete package. A little baby wrapped in swaddling clothes, manifesting full Grace and God's glory. As he grew in "wisdom and stature",  and then he faced temptation Hebrews 4:15, "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin."; and he willingly took our curse and punishment to die upon a cross.

Not just anyone could take our punishment, it had to be a spotless lamb, without sin. As God can not be pleased with sin or see us Holy because of even just one little bad thought or deed. We can not have just one little hint of rebellion against Him.

So after deeply considering what Jesus Christ gave to us on Christmas day and ultimately the Resurrection day, what do we Really want for Christmas? Do we really even need any material things? Sure, I could use a new coat. Mine is getting a few holes and isn't as practical as I would like. But it still looks nice for the most part and more importantly keeps me warm. I could also say I "need" some new clothing. I have gained the weight I lost back, since last summer, and only have 4 or 5 outfits that fit me well and nicely. (I am starting a diet again after Asher's surgery btw.) I think we also "need" some new shocks for our van (whatever that is exactly?). I am down to a broken food chopper (I love my food chopper) but we are making due with the broken one still and today part of my Bosch broke (which I use a LOT). My list could go on. The things I like are practical things usually for Christmas. Sometimes we will buy just fun gifts for each other, but in my mind those are usually not something that edifies the children (and myself) to being appreciative of ALL we do have.

Today my sweet children are in cleaning and helpful mode. Makenna is home for several weeks from school! And Makenna and Eliza (is turning into one too), are my cleaners and organizers. Girls after my own heart. I just don't usually have the time like I used to, or maybe it isn't as much a priority on some levels. I am not as a perfectionist as I used to be. It really is okay if the towels aren't folded like I used to require, as long as they are put away, off the couch!  So we baked bread already, baked some cookies for neighbors last night and will do more baking later. Makenna is cleaning out our pantry and Eliza is cleaning the boys' room. I am doing laundry, including sheets. Jacob is trying to finish the other half of his math so he will be able to take a holiday break without thinking about that. Toby and Moriah, after doing chores, are in Lego model building play. They are making a Mini Lego-land for us to come visit on Christmas Eve. Lenea and Asher are "helping" some of us organize and Lenea is teaching Asher worship dance moves in her bedroom. He just loves his "Nea", following her around like a puppy. Today she appreciates it and he doesn't mind her bossing him either. It is a sweet friendship. We have Steven Curtis Chapman Christmas CD playing in the back ground, tree lights are on (even during the daylight), our house is warm and cozy. My wonderful, loving, hard-working husband is at his newish job, who appreciate his work ethic and let him go in 3 hours late today for Christmas, he has a work Christmas party to go to at the end of today. Then he will be off for 4 days!
We have had some respiratory sickness again the last 2 weeks, with 2 children having Reactive Airway Disease and needing nebulizers now. But we have double insurance and we have had to pay 0 out of pocket besides our monthly dues. Our blessings and material things are abundant. God is so gracious to us and we deserve NONE of it. We deserve not one iota.

So this year, trying to keep Christmas a little simpler and start some new traditions, we are having the kids do a gift exchange by drawing names. We are doing Christmas stockings (which we haven't done in years) and we are doing a White Elephant gift exchange. It should be fun and a lot cheaper too.

But.. I am thinking about all the needs around us, about our little ones in China without a Mama and Daddy, just yet. I am thankful that next Christmas they will be with us, as my pangs of sadness realize it is still a half a year away until we can be with them and give them a family. But at least they have been chosen.. What about the millions and millions of children that haven't been chosen, and will have an emptiness in their hearts for a family, even if they are too young or immature to articulate it? God says the lonely are to be in families, He puts them there. But what if Christians ignore His command? What if Christians don't give up some of their ridiculous material wealth and their time to help some of these children; really be obedient to help, not just pray about it? What about the millions and millions without a full tummy and clean water, or a bed to sleep on? What about the millions who eat out of garbage cans? There really are, children who have to sneak scraps out of garbage cans to eat. Can you imagine? Can you think about how broken they are, with NO hope at all? What if that was your child? Well, we need to remember they are God's children and we ARE HIS ambassadors. We are His hands and feet on this earth. We have a purpose for this life in a foreign land. This is not our home. 

I have so much compassion for the young and vulnerable. They have no voice in this world (Satan knows that very well), many times no education to help themselves and lots of times no health or strength to do anything anyway. I care about adults that need help too, however they can get themselves help and they can make choices that young children can NOT! I believe that is why God has reminded us in scriptures to take care of the fatherless and widows. Widows are usually the ones that are either still with the young children at home and they are trying to make it to take care of them, OR they are the very old, in that day in age were seen as outcasts.

This Christmas, this coming New Year, 2013, yes we are well into this millennium (remember when it was just the year 2000?), we MUST as Christians look at our lives, our hearts. What are we idolizing? What are we teaching our children to put their time, energy and money into? Is it material things, a great education, personal looks, fame, a great job, or will it be compassion for the young and vulnerable, hearts for the lost souls who will go to hell, a desire to know and love God will all they are and surrender their lives to Him alone, to serve Him

Matthew 6:19" Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal."

Matthew 6:20"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal."

I am not against material things or Christmas gifts. We have much of it. I am though, being taught recently that those things don't  matter. They don't raise Christians and they don't help us look to God more. He wants all of our hearts, not our wealth and fame. And the reality is that all we are given, 100% of our wealth, health and happiness is from HIM! Why then do we whine about not having enough, and sound like spoiled children on Christmas who are mad they didn't get what they wanted or be willing to share the beloved toy they did get?  I get this way in my heart sometimes, my children get this way too. We are working on it, we are praying for this legacy in our family to be different.

A side note that today was a very challenging day for me. After I had written most of this post, but not ready to post I was bombarded with silly attacks from the enemy. I was determined to not get off path today and let that frustrate me and take it out on my children and praise God through it all. It began with my anticipation that our I797 would be delivered to Lifeline by 10:30 and that we would be DTC this afternoon. (My post yesterday explains all that scenario.) However, I checked the tracking # at 9:00 (agency is an hour ahead of us), and no delivery. Again at 10:00 was no delivery. 10:30, no delivery and word that it was delayed.. Agh.. What, if it doesn't get to agency today then it would not be DTC until next Thursday. So I got on the phone with FedEx, that was difficult to get a person. They were having phone line troubles and I ended up calling a totally different Fed Ex #, explained the situation, thankfully who was very helpful and transferred me to Customer Service. Indeed, they looked up our Tracking # to say it was delayed due to a big storm in the Midwest, even though the states we were shipping in were not affected, it had delayed deliveries. I had them call the destination and indeed they did not have our package (it was almost noon there by now) and they would not be able to deliver until tomorrow! Oh, the frustration built up inside of me, I wanted to burst into tears. I asked about a refund how that worked, but she said we would have to take that up after delivery was complete. 

After I hung up the phone I prayed to the Lord that I didn't want to let this ruin my day and to trust Him alone. I called our agency and explained the situation. Logan was very kind and sorry for our situation. She said if she wasn't going out of town, she would come get it tomorrow and deliver it then, but she would be gone until Thursday morning and the office would be closed. It was out of my hands. I tried my best to let it go.

Then I went back to baking cookies for our neighbors, which has been a family tradition for about 9 years now. We attempted 3 batches of peanut brittle, which all failed. I even burned my finger on the last one. Then we made cookies, that ended up being pretty tasty, but a bit crumbly and they broke my mixer attachment, which isn't cheap to replace. Later, I had a flour spill on the pantry that my daughter just cleaned. My children were very gracious to me, helping bake and clean up and watching movies with the younger ones, as it seemed I was having one tiny problem after another. I don't like to have many days like this. It keeps me away from my children and doing motherly things. But some days they just happen. I am always evaluating and changing what is important there. But today I was deep in way to getting ready for Christmas so I just kept praying and telling God these babies in China were His children and I trusted Him no matter what. Makenna even had me leap for joy, which actually felt good.

After the leaping, I went to check the situation on the tracking # again. It had changed slightly and stated it was at the destination warehouse, but was not in transit. I got a little hopeful, and contacted Lifeline asking if it was even feasible for them to pick it up if it was there? She said they would have to pick it up next week anyway and that IF it was at the location they could run and get it. Now we were trying to beat the clock because DHL would pick up in less than 2 hours. She tried to call FedEx and couldn't get through (remember phone troubles). So she called me back to tell me she didn't know what to do, so I got on the phone. Again it took 20 minutes to get a helpful person, but indeed they did get through to the station that it was at and it was ready for pick up. Logan needed to be the one pick up because we put her as the "Attention", I was worried she wouldn't be able to as she said she would send "someone" to get it. But when I called her back I got her voice mail now. It was almost down to an hour for DHL pick up time. I sent her an email and within minutes she said she would go get it. 

AND...she got it and sent it with DHL in time. I think with 15 minutes to spare. God is so amazing. Even in these little things, which sometimes feel so big, He shows Himself at work. He does want our 2 babies home. He does control the little packages that come to be delivered. When I called about an hour before they said it was not at the station and it would be too late, but He proved them wrong. He gave us a gracious, wonderful Social Worker with our agency who went out of her way to help us. He is so good. And as of this afternoon we officially DTC...

Another interesting thing, is my husband had a FedEx package to pick up for his work today as well and it too was not there, delayed. The service worker told him that 80% of FedEx deliveries that were due today would not get delivered until tomorrow and he that it was weird ours got there like it did. But, you see, WE know it was not anything just weird, it was our GOD!

So in the end of my day, I have had a couple more minor struggles, but God has kept my eyes on Him. I didn't even make time read the Word today and He still works in my heart and gives me His Grace. I am so thankful. What do YOU want for Christmas? I want what God wants. I want families for the children all around the world, that if every Christian adopted just one, there would be no more orphans. I want my children to serve and love him with every ounce of who He created them to be, even if that means not being near me and living in the heart of Africa. I want to be a woman after His heart, who trusts Him in every situation knowing He is there and working out every little detail, even though I want to control it myself. 

Next post, I want to share some stories of real children who need families. Don't let your life be void of surrendering it all the Jesus. He wants to use you and me. He wants our hearts to be like His. And He has a desire to get orphans out of their dark hopeless state and show them His light.

No comments:

Post a Comment